UT Mail Services offers secure document destruction services. This service shreds confidential documents to a federal standard level 6, the same level used by the Pentagon. It reduces your documents to dust instead of long shreds.
If you have research documents or paperwork with account numbers or student information that you need destroyed please submit a Shredding Authorization Form. This form will automatically go to Records Management and Mail Services. We will then contact you for delivery of a 65 gallon container. You will receive a Certificate of Destruction.
More About Our Shredding Services
- All employees that handle documents are full-time UT employees
- All employees handling documents have completed confidentiality classes as well as record management classes
- All policies and procedures have been written in conjunction with the UT Records Management team
- Shred quality is unmatched in Austin. The paper is not shredded, it is destroyed. Only fibers are left after going through the shredder
- Destruction is done within 72 hours of receiving the container
- Billing is handled via IDT
- Certificate of Destruction is provided to each customer
- The shredding services are conducted in a separate stand-alone building
- No other services are conducted in the building other than shredding
- Only Document Solutions employees that are certified to shred are allowed in the building
- 65 gallon locked containers
- Containers can be purchased by departments through Document Solutions
- There is a discount on the shredding service for departments that purchase their own container (see pricing below)
Why should I use Document Solutions Document Destruction Services?
- Protection: protecting your confidential information so that it does not end up in the wrong hands. There are no visible letters or numbers left after the document has been through our shredder
- Compliance: with assistance from Records Management we make sure all of the state, federal and university guidelines concerning document destruction are met
- Ease of service: complete the online Shredding Authorization Form and both Records Management and Document Solutions are notified. We will arrange for the service to be completed at that point
- Billing: IDT is used so there are no invoices
What documents should I shred?
- The service is for shredding confidential and classified documents
- You should continue to use your recycling vendor for daily paper recycling
- Records Management can provide guidance on your records destruction policies
How long do I get to keep the container?
- We would prefer a two-week turnaround on containers. There is an adidtional charge for keeping the container longer than 30 days (see pricing below)
- If you would like a regular service or to keep your container longer you should consider purchasing your own container
What is the price?
- For departments that use their own container purchased through Documents Solutions the price is $45 per container
- For departments that use a container provided by Documents Solutions the price is $60 per container
NOTE: There will be a $10 additional charge to customers that keep a Document Solutions owned shredding bin longer than 30 days