UT Mail Services at Document Solutions offers secure document destruction services upon request. Our total document destruction service provides a shred level of P-6 that meets the same federal security used by the Pentagon. It reduces your confidential documents to dust instead of merely shreds and pieces.
If you have confidential, research documents or paperwork with account numbers or student information that needs to be destroyed, please submit a shredding authorization form. Your request will be directed to both Records and Information Management Services and Document Solutions. We will then contact you to arrange delivery of a 65-gallon container for you to fill with your documents.
Details About Shredding Services
- All employees that handle documents are full-time UT employees.
- All employees handling documents have completed confidentiality classes as well as record management classes.
- All policies and procedures have been written in conjunction with the UT Records Management team.
- Shred quality of confidential records is unmatched in Austin. The paper is not shredded, it is destroyed. Only fibers are left after going through the shredder.
- Destruction is complete within 72 hours of receiving the container.
- Billing is handled via IDT.
- Certificate of Destruction is provided to each customer to validate the document shredding process for compliance records.
- The shredding services are conducted in a separate stand-alone building.
- No other services are conducted in the building other than shredding.
- Only Document Solutions employees that are certified to shred are allowed in the building.
- 65-gallon locked containers
- Containers can be purchased by departments through Document Solutions.
- There is a discount on the shredding service for departments that purchase their own container (see pricing below).
Why should I use Document Solutions Document Destruction Services?
- Protection: Protecting your confidential information so that it does not end up in the wrong hands. There are no visible letters or numbers left after the document has been through our shredder.
- Compliance: In coordination with Records Management, we make sure all of the state, federal, and university guidelines concerning document destruction are met.
- Ease of service: Complete the online shredding authorization form and both Records Management and Document Solutions are notified to coordinate and complete the service.
- Billing: IDT is used so there are no invoices
What documents should I shred?
- The service is for shredding confidential and classified documents.
- You should continue to use your recycling vendor for daily paper recycling.
- Records Management can provide guidance on your records destruction policies.
How long do I get to keep the container?
- We would prefer a two-week turnaround on containers. There is an additional charge for keeping the container longer than 30 days (see pricing below).
- If you would like a regular service or keep your container longer you should consider purchasing your own container.
What is the price?
- For departments that use their own container purchased through Documents Solutions, the service price is $45 per container.
- For departments that use a container provided by Documents Solutions, the service price is $60 per container.
NOTE: There will be a $10 additional charge to customers that keep a Document Solutions-owned shredding bin longer than 30 days.